Prof. Dr. rer. nat., MSc. Computer Science
Campus E1 3, Room 326
Phone: +49 (0)681 302-5478 Fax: +49 (0)681 302-5636
E-Mail: spieler(-at-)cs.uni-saarland.de (still valid due to redirection)
I was a PhD student at the chair of Modeling and Simulation (former ALMA Junior Research Group) from December 2009 until June 2014. From July 2014 to September 2015 I was employed as as system developer at Bosch SoftTec in Hildesheim. From October 2015 until August 20I8 I worked as a product owner for big data topics at Audi AG in Ingolstadt. In September 2018, I joined the University of Applied Sciences Munich as a professor for machine learning.
You can visit my new homepage here.
My main research interests for my PhD were :
- Numerical steady-state analysis of stochastic hybrid systems,
- sensitivity analysis and parameter estimation of biochemical systems,
- retrival of geometric bounds for the steady state distributions of structured continuous time Markov chains (CTMC) with infinite state-space by the use of Lyapunov functions, as implemented e.g. in the Geobound tool,
- deterministic timed automata (DTA) as a specification mechanism for CTMC,
- and detecting oscillatory behavior in discrete stochastic models of chemical reaction networks.
Gene expression – sensitivity analysis w.r.t transcription rate.
- D. Spieler, Numerical Analysis of long-run properties for Markov Population Models, PhD thesis, 2014 (link).
- D. Spieler, E. M. Hahn, L. Zhang: Model Checking CSL for Markov Population Models, QAPL, EPTCS (technical report), 2014.
- A. Andreychenko, T. Krüger, D. Spieler: Analyzing oscillatory behavior with formal methods, ROCKS Autumn School Proceedings, LNCS, 2014.
- D. Spieler, V. Wolf: Efficient Steady State Analysis of Multimodal Markov Chains, ASMTA 2013, LNCS, Springer, 2013.
- D. Spieler: Characterizing oscillatory and noisy periodic behavior in Markov population models, QEST 2013, LNCS, Springer, 2013.
- A. Andreychenko, L. Mikeev, D. Spieler, V. Wolf: Approximate maximum likelihood estimation for stochastic chemical kinetics, Journal on Bioinformatics and Systems Biology, Springer, 2012.
- L. Mikeev, M. Neuhäußer, D. Spieler, V. Wolf: On-the-fly verification and optimization of DTA-properties for large Markov chains, Formal Methods in System Design, 2012.
- Arand J., Spieler D., Karius T., Branco M. R., Meilinger D., et al.: In Vivo Control of CpG and Non-CpG DNA Methylation by DNA Methyltransferases, PLoS Genet 8(6): e1002750. doi:10.1371/journal.pgen.1002750, 2012.
- Dayar, T., Sandmann, W., Spieler, D., and Wolf, V.: Infinite Level–Dependent QBDs and Matrix Analytic Solutions for Stochastic Chemical Kinetics, Advances in Applied Probability, 43.4, 2011.
- Dayar, T., Hermanns, H., Spieler, D., and Wolf, V.: Bounding the Equilibrium Distribution of Markov Population Models, Numerical Linear Algebra with Applications, 2011.
- Andreychenko, A. , Mikeev, L., Spieler, D., and Wolf, V.: Parameter Identification for Markov Models of Biochemical Reactions, Proceedings of the 23rd International Conference on Computer Aided Verification (CAV’11), 2011.
- Andreychenko A, Mikeev L, Spieler D, Wolf V: Approximate Maximum Likelihood Estimation for Stochastic Chemical Kinetics, In Proceedings of WCSB 2011, 2011.
- Eisentraut C., D. Spieler: Fault, Compensation and Termination in WS-BPEL 2.0 – A Comparative Analysis, WS-FM ’08
- Model Checking of Oscillatory and Noisy Periodic Behavior in Markovian Population Models, Master Thesis, Saarland University, 2009
- Scope-based Fault-, Compensation- and Termination-Handling in WS-BPEL 2.0, Bachelor Thesis, Saarland University, 2008
- JavaQuON: A lightweight Java implementation of the QuON protocol
- Lispel: A minimal Lisp implementation in Java following the paper “The Roots of Lisp” by Paul Graham
Winter Semester 2013/2014
Seminar: Data Networks Lab (Lecturer)
Winter Semester 2012/2013
Proseminar: Anwendungen von Markovketten (Teaching Assistant)
Summer Semester 2012
Lecture: Quantitative Model Checking (Lecturer)
Winter Semester 2011/2012
Seminar: Stochastic Simulation Techniques (Teaching Assistant)
Summer Semester 2011
Data Networks (Teaching Assistant)
Summer Semester 2010
Quantitative Model Checking (Teaching Assistant)
Summer Semester 2009
Concurrent Programming (Student Assistant)
Summer Semester 2008
Concurrent Programming (Student Assistant)
Summer Semester 2007
Programmierung 2 (Student Assistant)
Winter Semester 2006/2007
Programmierung 1 (Student Assistant)
I reviewed manuscripts for CAV 2013, CMSB 2010, CMSB 2011, CMSB 2012, CMSB 2013, CONCUR 2013, CS2BIO 2010, DSN PDS 2010, ESOP 2013, FORMATS 2010, HSCC 2013, MMB 2011, QEST 2010, QEST 2012, QEST 2013, ROCKS 2013, TACAS 2011, TACAS 2013, TMS DEVS 2013, TMS DEVS 2014, WSC 2012, YRCONCUR 2012.